Last Update : 2018-8-31
The Department of Marine Biosciences, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, invites applications for one tenure-track Assistant Professor position in Fish Nutrition.
Based on the tenure-track system in Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology (TUMSAT), the successful applicant is expected to play an active role at the University as an outstanding tenured faculty member in future. The tenure-track Assistant Professor will be employed for a 5-year period, and will be provided with adequate environment for research and education. Based on fair and strict evaluation during the tenure-track period, he/she will have the opportunity to be hired as a tenured Associate or Assistant Professor, depending on his/her achievements in research and education.
One tenure-track Assistant Professor (full-time)
Tenure track period
5 years from the date of employment
Department of Marine Biosciences
Educational and research responsibilities
The Department of Marine Biosciences carries out education and research on the elucidation of the mechanisms that sustain life in the marine environment and the utilization of the intrinsic characteristics of aquatic organisms to promote the management and conservation of marine living resources, their culture and breeding, the development of efficient harvesting systems and technologies to monitor the environment. The successful applicant is expected to conduct wide-ranging research and educational activities in the area of Fish Nutrition to support the development of sustainable aquaculture production of fish and shellfish. These should include but not be limited to the application of cutting-edge biological and chemical approaches and the study of the nutritional requirements and development of feeds for fish and shellfish.
The successful applicant will contribute to the following courses in graduate and undergraduate programs (in addition to the 70% effort devoted to research):
[Graduate Program: Master’s Course of Marine Life Sciences, Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology]
Co-teaching the following subjects: Aquatic Animal Nutrition, Aquatic Feed Technology, Special Seminar in Aquatic Bioscience, Research in Aquatic Bioscience, and other lectures and lab/field courses.
[Undergraduate program: Department of Marine Biosciences, School of Marine Life Science]
Co-teaching the following subjects: General Chemistry, Fish Nutrition, Freshman Seminar, Seminar, Graduation Thesis, and other lectures and lab/field courses.
Wages, benefits and other conditions are equivalent to the tenured faculty members.
Mid-term and final reviews for tenure
Mid-term and final reviews will be carried out during the 3rd and 5th years of the tenure-track period, respectively. Depending on the outcome of the final review, the tenure-track Assistant Professor will have the opportunity to be hired as a tenured faculty member.
Application requirements. The applicant must
1) Possess a doctoral degree received within the last 10 years (as of April 1st, 2019).
2) Possess a proven research record in the research areas specified in the above “Educational and research responsibilities”.
3) Be able to undertake and conduct lectures on the subjects specified in the above “Educational and research responsibilities”.
4) Preferentially be able to provide research guidance for the master’s course.
5) Be able to conduct undergraduate lecturers either in Japanese or in English, and to conduct post-graduate lectures and research guidance in English.
6) Be able to proactively take on other academic and administrative tasks within the university besides devoting 70% of his/her efforts to research.
Expected date of employment
April 1st, 2019
One original and six photocopies of 1) to 6). Academic papers (item 3) can be submitted as digital documents (in this case the original or copies are not necessary).
1) Curriculum vitae (any format in A4 size with photo attached).
List your educational history, work history, awards and penalties, thesis theme (institution, date and serial number of degrees obtained), academic society membership and other highlights.
2) List of research publications (any format in A4 size).
List your contributions in published books, academic papers (peer-reviewed) and other papers separately in reverse chronological order starting from the present.
*Limited to those in publication at the time of application. Academic papers may include those with acceptance certificates after peer-reviewing.
*Underline your name in the papers and double-underline your name in papers of which you are the first author (including solo author) or corresponding author so they can easily be distinguished.
3) Reprints or copies of academic papers (5 most representative papers).
*All academic papers are to be submitted for the final selection.
4) Status of competitive research funds received (any format in A4 size).
If you have received any research funds, list down the application subject, subsidizing institution, period and amount. Specify for each fund whether you were awarded it as the principle investigator or as a co-investigator.
5) Summary of education and research to date (A4 size, 800-1,000 words in English or about 2,000 characters in Japanese).
6) Educational and research aspirations after assuming the appointment (A4 size, 800-1,000 words in English or about 2,000 characters in Japanese).
7) Provide contact information for two referees.
8) Self-addressed envelope for notification of the receipt of the submitted documents (Write the return address on a standard envelope. An appropriate postage stamp should be attached if the applicant has a domestic address.).
9) Self-addressed envelope for notification of the review results (Write the return address on a standard envelope. An appropriate postage stamp should be attached if the applicant has a domestic address.).
Points to note
(1) Interviews may be required for the selection. In this case, transport expenses shall be at your own cost.
(2) Submission of health certificate may be required.
(3) Application details shall be kept strictly confidential and application documents shall not be used for any purpose other than the selection. Application documents will not be returned in principle but disposed of accordingly after selection.
Until November 30th, 2018, 5 PM (Japan Standard Time)
Document submission address
Prof. Carlos Augusto STRÜSSMANN
Department of Marine Biosciences
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology
4-5-7 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo 108-8477, Japan
(Write in red “Application Documents for the Department of Marine Biosciences (Laboratory of Fish Nutrition)” on the envelope, and send via registered mail or other trackable delivery system.)
Notification of selection results
Applicants will be notified of the results of the first and final screenings (if an interview is requested) by the end of January and February 2019, respectively.
Selection Committee Chairman : Prof. Carlos Augusto STRÜSSMANN
(Department of Marine Biosciences, Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology)
For information about the Department of Marine Biosciences, School of Marine Life Science, the Master’s Course of Marine Life Sciences and the Doctoral Course of Applied Marine Biosciences, Graduate School of Marine Science and Technology, please refer to the respective University’s web sites.
Effective on February 1, 2016, each faculty member of the University formally belongs to one of the Departments, or to one of the Research and Education Institutions, and undertakes responsibility for education at the graduate and undergraduate Schools of the University.
Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology is committed to a policy of equal opportunity. The University welcomes applications from all the qualified persons, regardless of gender and nationality.
Retirement age system is applied for all the tenured faculty based on the end of the fiscal/academic year in which he/she reaches the age of 63. Re-employment for two additional years will be available after the retirement upon request.