APPLICATION DEADLINE: March 14, 2019
Established by Convention for the Conservation of Anadromous Stocks in the North Pacific Ocean
The North Pacific Anadromous Fish Commission (NPAFC) invites citizens from its member countries (Canada, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Russian Federation, and the USA) to apply for the NPAFC Internship Program. One or two interns will be accepted upon approval of the Commission. The intern will work at the NPAFC Secretariat office in Vancouver, BC, Canada.
The intern will gain experience and knowledge in operations of the NPAFC and will have the opportunity to test his/her interest in international governmental organizations, fisheries management, salmon biology & ecology, and fisheries enforcement. The intern will work under the supervision of the Executive Director and/or his designates. In general, the intern will assist in a variety of tasks, including:
• plan, develop, and complete an individual project in enforcement, science, communication, fisheries management, or administration;
• prepare information for and provide support to special projects including the International Year of the Salmon (IYS) initiative;
• assist in organizing and editing various NPAFC publications;
• coordinate international cooperative programs and assist Secretariat activities; and
• assist with other work delegated by the Executive Director and/or his designates.
Internship period: up to a maximum of 6 months, with the start date to be negotiated. Start date must occur between July and December 2019. The intern is expected to perform his/her tasks at the Secretariat office on a daily basis, Monday–Friday, 7.5 hours per day.
Qualifications: an applicant must be a citizen of NPAFC member country, have a university degree, the ability to read, write, and speak English, the ability to use computers and the internet, and demonstrated personal initiative. Applicants must currently be a part of the government or academic sector, a recent graduate, or currently enrolled in school for an advanced degree.
Financial support: NPAFC will provide a stipend of $2,500 CDN per month. Travel cost to and from the intern’s place of residence and the location of the Secretariat office and cost of medical insurance will be at the intern’s own expense or by home country support. Travel expenses associated with the intern’s work in the Secretariat will be covered by the NPAFC.
Applications: Completed applications must include all of the following:
• Cover letter describing the applicant’s interests and qualifications,
• Resume showing academic and/or work experience,
• Three professional letters of reference,
• Personal Data Page of passport as a citizenship proof.
Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org by March 14, 2019.
The selected intern will be notified in early June of 2019.
For complete information: Go to https://npafc.org/ and contact the NPAFC Secretariat for questions at email@example.com.