- Job title: Professor or Associate Professor
- Employment status: Tenure
- Department and Division (see Supplemental information 1)
Aquatic Research Station, FSC, HU
Division of Research and Education: Section of Aquatic Research
Graduate School: Course in Aquatic Biology, Division of Biosphere Science, Graduate School of
Environmental Science, HU
Undergraduate School: School of Fisheries Sciences, HU
- Work place
Usujiri Fisheries Station (152, Usujiri, Hakodate, Hokkaido, 041-1613 Japan)
- Qualifications and requirements
(1) PhD at the time of appointment
(2) Outstanding achievements and publications in the research field of aquatic biology, fisheries resource science, fisheries environmental science and marine ecology
(3) Ability in contributing to education for undergraduate students in General Education Courses and in School of Fisheries (lectures, laboratory work, seminars, exercises (including field training)), and for graduate students in Graduate School of Environmental Science: Teaching master’s and doctoral students in the Division of Biosphere Science, Course in Aquatic Biology (lectures, laboratory work, seminars, exercises, etc.) in HU
(4) Ability in contributing to education for students in other universities in Joint Usage / Education Center (see Supplemental information 2); management and education in the special marine field courses, and educational and research supports for undergraduate and graduate students of other universities with effective use of the facilities
(5) Ability to manage facilities and research field of Aquatic Research Station and field research
facilities belonging to FSC. Establishment of education and research programs at the local facilities, and achievement of relationship with the local community through the social educations. In particular, those who can take responsibility for the management of field survey and rearing facility of Usujiri Fisheries Station, and for the implementation and operation of joint projects with related organizations and local governments using the facility
(6) Ability to give lectures in the graduate and undergraduate courses both in Japanese and English languages
- Desired start date: between November 1, 2023 and March 1, 2024
- Probation period: Three months
- Salary: The salary is determined in accordance with the regulations of HU.
- Working forms: Discretionary labor system for professional work (The working hours for a day is deemed as 7 hours and 45 minutes.)
- Health insurances and pension: The Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology Mutual Aid Association, Employees Pension, Workers’ Accident Compensation Insurance and Employment Insurance
- Name of recruiting institution: Hokkaido University
- Measures to prevent second-hand smoke: Smoking in designated areas only
- Application materials
(1) One copy of Curriculum Vitae
*Free format with an attached photo taken within six months, academic history, degree, qualifications, record of awards and employment history
*Applicant who has been employed by Hokkaido University from April 1, 2013 (any position, including Part-time Lecturer, TA, TF, RA and Short-term Support Assistant, etc.) should provide full details of your employment history.
(2) One copy of publication lists (see Supplemental information 3) List the publications classified by articles in peer-reviewed journals, PhD thesis, books, reviews and other publications (non peer-reviewed materials), and other achievements including symposia organized, professional committees and service, invited speeches, awards, grants and experience of education
(3) One copy of summary of past activities for research, education and public outreach (about 1,000 words)
(4) One copy of motivation statements of research and education goals upon appointment, especially for commitment in FSC (about 1,000 words)
(5) A list of two reference persons and contact information (i.e., names, affiliations, positions and email addresses)
*No need to contact them from applicant in advance
(6) Copies of 5 major publications
- Application deadline: May 26 (Friday), 2023 (JST)
*The deadline must be strictly observed.
- Application address
HR Department, Field Science Center for Northern Biosphere, Hokkaido University, Kita 11 Nishi 10, Kitaku, Sapporo, Hokkaido, 060-0811, Japan
*All documents must be submitted by registered mail to the address described above. Please write “Application for Professor/Associate Professor in Aquatic Research Section” in red font on the front of the envelope. Submitted documents will not be returned to the applicant.
*Email application with an attached PDF file is also acceptable to syomu AT fsc.hokudai.ac.jp (replace AT with @). Please put “Application for Professor/Associate Professor in Aquatic Research Section” in the subject of the email.
- Selectin process
Screening of application materials. Applicants may be asked to visit HU for an interview and presentation by the selection committee. In the event that an interview is required, the applicants are responsible for any travel expenditures. Internet interview might be applied in a certain case.
Prof. Masahiro Nakaoka (nakaoka AT fsc.hokudai.ac.jp; replace AT with @)
Aquatic Research Station, Field Science Center for Northern Biosphere, Hokkaido University Hokkaido University is actively promoting both education and research activities under the concept of advancing diversity and inclusion. In addition, Hokkaido University is actively supporting to realize a well work-life-balance and is providing ideal environments for those people who would like to show their full potentials. The detail of the activity in Hokkaido University can be found in the following URL
(1) FSC, HU consists of the Experimental Forests, Livestock Farm, Experiment Farm, Botanic Garden and Marine and Freshwater Stations. Faculty members belong to three stations such as the Forest Research Station, the Agro-ecosystem Research Station, and the Aquatic Research Station (this recruitment) and have responsibility for managements of the facilities. Education and Research Division has four sections: Forest Research, Agro-Ecosystem Research, Aquatic Research, and Integrated Research. Further information can be found at the following URL:https://www.fsc.hokudai.ac.jp/home_en/
Aquatic Research Station currently includes seven professors, four associate professors and five assistant professors.
(2) Usujiri Fisheries Station, Nanae Freshwater Station and Oshoro Marine Station have been approved as a Joint Usage / Education Center as the “Field Study of Aquatic Bioresources and Environment in Hokkaido” by Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT) since 2015. Further information can be found at the following URL:
https://www.fsc.hokudai.ac.jp/suisan-kyoten/index.html (in Japanese)
(3) Please download the format of the list of publications from the following URL: https://www.fsc.hokudai.ac.jp/recruit/
Other formats are also acceptable as long as they contain all the necessary information